Palazzo Circolone was built on the site of ancient shops purchased in the second half of the eighteenth century by the merchant Francesco Circolone from Maglie, native of Mola di Bari.
This is the first of several buildings that wealthy and enterprising heirs built in Poggiardo between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
First inhabited by Giuseppe Circolone and his wife Maria Teresa Alba, it then became property of Giovanni Circolone (1808 – 1859), a lawyer and mayor of Poggiardo who was also a brave supporter of the Unification of Italy and was exiled to Greece in Corfu’. A large plaque has been affixed to the facade of the building in his memory. Other mayors from Circolone’s family such as Antonio, Oronzo and Gennaro lived there too